Research Specialist for Black Play and Culture
Please apply at https://www.museumofplay.org/about/employment
The Strong, a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play, aspires to collect, preserve, and interpret an inclusive history of play that represents the diversity of people and experiences in the United States. With a focus on enhancing our collections and interpretation related to the histories and cultures of Black play, the museum seeks to add a research specialist to its staff who will be responsible for:
• Exploring the museum’s current collections and exhibits to identify new opportunities for artifact acquisitions and displays
• Developing online interpretive content through a series of museum blogs and online exhibits
• Engaging local, regional, and national communities through collecting and interpretive initiatives
• Playing a critical role in the growth and interpretation of the world’s most comprehensive public collection of playthings and historical materials related to play
• Degree in Black or Africana Studies, Black History, American History, Museum Studies, Recreation & Leisure Studies, Sociology, or another relevant program. Graduate degree preferred.
• Good writing ability
• Ability to network and build relationships with diverse communities locally, regionally, and nationally
• Works well in a team environment
• Good track record of successfully completing projects
• Must consent to and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check as conditions of employment.