Rochester Police Chief Michael Ciminelli announced Thursday, Aug. 27, that one suspect in a drive-by shooting at the Boys and Girls Club on Genesee St., Aug. 19, is in custody.
Ciminelli said the suspect has been arraigned on charges unrelated to the mass shooting, in which Raekwon Manigault, Jonah Barley, and Johnny Johnson were killed, and four others were injured last Wednesday.
Shots had been fired into a crowd which gathered after a basketball game outside the Boys and Girls Club that evening, and had reportedly come from a speeding car which had driven by at about 11:30 p.m.
“We will not identify the suspect at this time; we will identify him when formal charges are filed,” Ciminelli stated.
Ciminelli said police had also recovered at least one gun from the shooting, as well as the car involved in the incident.
However, according to the police chief, the investigation is still ongoing.
“Even though we’re making a huge step forward, we’re just beginning,” he stated.
In addition, “I’m pleased we were able to announce that an arrest has been made,” Mayor Lovely Warren stated. “But, as a mother, I’m neither proud nor pleased that violence continues to plague our streets, and victimize our children. …As both the mayor, and a mother, I do not want to witness any more mothers or fathers burying their children. We deserve better. The best way for justice to be served is to eliminate violence to begin with.”
The mayor attended Johnson’s funeral earlier in the day, on Thursday.
In addition, Ciminelli said the reward money has been increased to $25,000, for information leading to an arrest.