The city has announced its 2015 Cool Sweep program will begin Monday, June 29, and run through Saturday, Aug. 29. However, according to officials, Cool Sweeps will not take place on Sundays, or July 4.
The program will feature swimming sites, spray parks, and fire hydrants for residents to get relief from the summer heat.
“Cool Sweep is an essential program that enhances quality of life by providing relief from the heat for those who need it,” Mayor Lovely Warren stated. “Kids and families can beat the heat, and have fun doing it, at our many swimming sites, spray parks and hydrants. As we work to create safer and more vibrant neighborhoods, more jobs and better educational opportunities for our children, we’ll continue to provide programs such as Cool Sweep, to help keep our residents safe and healthy this summer.”
A Cool Sweep operation is triggered when the forecast calls for temperatures to reach or exceed 85 degrees. During Cool Sweep, residents can get relief with sprays at fire hydrants, and take advantage of extended hours at city pools, Durand Eastman Beach, and city spray parks.
Cool Sweep will take place at the following locations and times:
Hydrant Locations (12 p.m. to 4 p.m.):
• #41 School parking lot, 279 W. Ridge Rd.
• Baden Park gateway, Vienna St.
Spray Parks (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Carter Street R-Center, 500 Carter St.
• Edgerton R-Center, 41 Backus St.
• Humboldt R-Center, 1045 Atlantic Ave.
• David F. Gantt R-Center, 700 North St.
• Thomas P. Ryan R-Center, 530 Webster Ave.
Spray Features – not a full spray park (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Fourth and Peck Playground, Corner of Fourth St. and Peck St.
• Manhattan Square Park (playground area), 353 Court St.
• Troup Street Park, Troup and Van Auker Streets (between Reynolds and Ford Streets)
Swimming Opportunities and hours of operation:
• Adams Street R-Center Pool (12 p.m. to 9 p.m.), 85 Adams St.
• Avenue D R-Center Pool (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.), 200 Ave. D
• Durand Eastman Beach (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.), Lake Shore Blvd.
• East High School Pool (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 1801 E. Main St.
• Flint Street R-Center Pool (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.), 271 Flint St.
• Genesee Valley Park Pool (12 p.m. to 9 p.m.), 131 Elmwood Ave.
• Jefferson High School Pool (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 1 Edgerton Pk.
• Northeast/Northwest High School at Frederick Douglass Campus (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 940 Fernwood Pk.
• Joseph C. Wilson Foundation Academy (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 200 Genesee St.
In addition, officials said when temperatures are forecasted to be 90 degrees and above, a Cool Sweep Heat Emergency will be initiated. During a Heat Emergency, the Cool Sweep program will extend to the following sites, where residents will be allowed to stay in an air-conditioned building:
Heat Emergency Cooling Locations:
• Carter Street R-Center gym (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 500 Carter St.
• Arnett Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 310 Arnett Blvd.
• Lincoln Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.), 851 Joseph Ave.
• Maplewood Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 1111 Dewey Ave.
• Winton Road Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 611 N. Winton Rd.
Call the Genesee Valley Park Pool at 585-428-7888, or visit www.cityofrochester.gov/coolsweep, for Cool Sweep and Cool Sweep Heat Emergency details.