More InformationDEPARTMENT: Operations – Central New York Regional Transportation Authority
SALARY RANGE: Training Rate – $17.58/Hour
Part-Time Rate (Upon successful completion of training) – $20.58/Hour
1. Provide safe, courteous, on-time transportation to the general public and other designated groups in a variety of mass transit vehicles.
2. Adhere to traffic regulations.
3. Collect correct fares and issue transfers.
4. Communicate with the public regarding routes, schedules, and transfer points.
5. Communicate and interact with individuals of various backgrounds and abilities.
6. Communicate with the Operations Center by radio, and provide verbal and written reports.
7. Punctuality and regular attendance are essential in order to provide dependable service to the public.
1. Centro bus operators are initially hired on a part-time basis, with the potential to become a full-time operator in the future.
2. The length of time before full-time opportunities are a possibility varies based on the needs of the organization.
3. Part-time bus operators are hired primarily to operate shorter pieces of work during peak periods, many of which include student transport.
4. Typical hours of work are 6:30 AM to 9:00 AM; 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM.; and 4:00 PM to 9:30 PM, with additional trips available at other times.
5. Centro bus operators are eligible to work Sundays and special events, which may exceed 25 hours of work on a weekly basis.
6. Regular weekly work is selected three times a year, and once selected is worked regularly by the employee.
7. Centro is looking for workers who can commit to 15 - 30 hours per week of regular selected hours.
1. Paid training is provided to qualified candidates committed to a full or part-time career with the Company.
2. Applicants must have a CDL-B permit or license (General Knowledge, Air Brake, and Passenger Endorsement portions of the exam) to be eligible for hire.
3. The 8-week training program provides exposure to all routes and runs within the Centro system. The program includes 3-weeks of in-classroom and on-bus instruction, followed by 5-weeks in the field. The first 3-weeks are primarily dedicated to classroom work (Monday – Friday from 8:30am to 4:00pm) with one mandatory Saturday. The following 5-weeks are on-the-road training with Line Instructors, and require trainees to work various hours of the day and night. Centro’s hours of operation range from 4:20am to 1:15am. Centro trainers will advise you in advance of your schedule. Your training schedule may be demanding and will require you to work at least 3 Saturdays or Sundays in order to learn all facets of the bus system.
Training classes begin on June 4th, 2018
1. Valid New York State driver’s license.
2. Five years of licensed driving experience.
3. Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with passenger and air brake endorsements.
4. Acceptable driving record at the time of job offer.
5. High School Diploma or G.E.D., or equivalent experience.
6. Customer-focused attitude.
7. Physical ability to, safely, operate a bus and the ability to keep the bus under control at all times.
8. Pass the physical examination conducted under article 19-A of the NYSDOT regulations.
9. Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in the English language, since communicating with passengers both in the regular course of business and especially during an emergency is critical.
10. A drug test with a negative result must be taken no more than 30 days prior to beginning training. NOTE: Bus operators are subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to work/return to duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing once they are hired.
11. Current, complete driving record abstract from the state Department of Motor Vehicles is required upon hire; violations are evaluated by their severity and time frame.
12. Certain criminal and/or driving convictions will not necessarily bar you from employment consideration.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit an application and resume to:
Centro HR Department
200 Cortland Ave - PO Box 820
Syracuse NY 13205
Applicants may also visit our website at www.centro.org to view the job posting and apply electronically. CNYTRA reserves the right to select a candidate from within or outside the Company.
CNYRTA is an equal opportunity employer.
Posted on 4/3/2018