Contact InformationContact Seller
: Human Resources
: Rochester, NY
More InformationPOSITION: Great Lakes Reporter/Producer
DIVISION: Radio and Television
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: News & Public Affairs Director
The Great Lakes Reporter/Producer is a multi-media journalist with solid entrepreneurial reporting skills who can produce balanced and engaging content on issues of importance to the communities surrounding the Great Lakes. The Great Lakes make up one of the most important and dynamic regions of the United States. The position is part of a Regional Journalism Collaborative that will look at environmental, economic and cultural issues surrounding the Great Lakes.
This position will require someone who can work collaboratively with other radio stations involved in this reporting project which focuses on issues related to the largest accessible source of fresh water in the world.
The Reporter/Producer also contributes to WXXI’s citizen engagement efforts and social media endeavors.
1. Work closely with news director and on-air hosts to generate compelling radio, web, and on-demand news programming that is responsive to current events and emerging issues. Actively cultivate sources throughout the community, taking special care to include under-represented and diverse voices. Create and post visual, text, audio and social media content for multimedia news distribution channels.
2. Be available for live interviews/two-ways with stations and national network.
3. Conduct regular research on issues surrounding the Great Lakes and Finger Lakes region of New York State.
4. Work collaboratively with external and internal partners on special projects such as citizen engagement initiatives, election night coverage, and major breaking news events.
5. Participate in membership drives, auctions, and other WXXI fundraising and events as required.
6. Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors Degree in journalism, communications, or related field
• 2+ years of journalism experience, preferably in a public broadcasting setting
• Excellent broadcast news writing skills
• Digital audio production experience
• Flexibility to produce a variety of multimedia content on deadline
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
• Demonstrated ability to learn and implement new media tools and emerging technologies.
• Ability to travel widely across the Finger Lakes region.
Qualified applicants may submit cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to:
WXXI HR Dept.
280 State St.
Rochester, NY 14614
WXXI is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to excellence through diversity.