More InformationPOSITION: Weekend Edition Host
REPORTS TO: WXXI News Director
CLASSIFICATION: Casual/Non-Exempt (6+ hour shift)
This position is responsible for hosting and localizing WXXI’s Weekend Edition news programs. In addition to writing and delivering local newscasts and providing local continuity during the program, the Weekend Host archives local news content on the station web site, and operates the Master Control Room during the air shift. This person should also be available for occasional fill-in hosting/reporting duties during the week on an as-needed basis.
1. Prepare and host the Saturday and Sunday Weekend Edition airshifts, including advance preparation of newscasts and program elements including underwriting, promotional announcements, weather/events etc.
2. Operate master control, including ENCO cuts, direct feeds from Decoders and microphones to create a smooth presentation that is free from technical mishaps that may disrupt flow to the listener. Communicate discrepancies, troubleshoot technical problems that may affect WXXI’s air product, and accurately report all program details on the daily program log.
3. Work with the WXXI News Director and the Director of Multimedia Engagement to post news coverage and content across multiple media platforms, including the WXXI News web site.
4. Record content for use throughout the day, including weather forecasts and news breaks.
5. Participate in station membership drives and various station activities.
6. Other duties as assigned by the Radio News Director, including the possibility of occasional fill-in hosting and reporting during the week on an as-needed basis.
• BA or equivalent experience
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Experience in radio news reporting and hosting, preferably in public radio
• Strong writing and verbal skills essential
• Experience in digital editing and production, Internet, on-demand and new media
• Ability to work independently on multiple projects