Rochester College Access Network, a program of Rochester Education Foundation, will host a series of free events to help families file their students’ Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms in order to pay for college, city officials said.
The city of Rochester is a sponsor for the event.
“FAFSA Fest 2016” will bring local volunteers to locations around the city to help students who plan to attend college in the 2016-2017 school year complete the online FAFSA, answer financial aid questions, and provide one-on-one help for understanding college costs.
Volunteers will include financial aid counselors from local colleges, accountants, and attorneys.
According to officials, students should bring their parent or legal guardian, 2015 Federal and State Tax forms and 2014 tax returns, as well as a list of 2015 income and recent pay stubs, in preparation for the event.
The FAFSA Fest events have been scheduled as follows:
- Saturday Feb. 13, from 12 to 3 p.m.; Sully Branch Library, 530 Webster Ave. (map);
- SUNY Financial Aid Day, Saturday, Feb. 20, from 9 a.m. to noon; MCC Brighton Campus, 1000 E Henrietta Rd. (map);
- Tuesday, Feb. 23, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Maplewood Library, 1111 Dewey Ave. (map);
- Wednesday, March 9, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Phillis Wheatley Library, 33 Dr. Samuel McCree Way (map);
- and March 24, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.; MCC Damon City Campus, 228. E. Main St., (map) (free parking available in the Mortimer Street Garage, 83 Mortimer St.).
Food and refreshments will be provided at the events.
In addition, officials said any student may attend the event, and assistance for special circumstances will be available.
The Community Foundation, Paychex, Oppenheimer Funds, WROC, WDKX, the Monroe Community College Foundation, and the Daisy Marquis Jones Foundation are also sponsors of the event.
Members of RCAN include every local college or university, Rochester City School District, the Rochester Area Community Foundation, United Way, not-for-profit groups including Hillside Work Scholarship Connection and the Urban League, and business and other individual representatives.
Visit www.RochesterCAN.org, www.cityofrochester.gov/FAFSAfest for additional information regarding the events, or call the Rochester Education Foundation at (585) 271-5790.