Reliant Community Credit Union has donated $1,000 worth of new children’s books and stuffed animals to Mayor Lovely Warren’s Books and Bears program, in correspondence with the start of a one-month campaign for community members to make donations at local Reliant branches, city officials stated.
Currently, the city accepts books and stuffed Teddy Bears donated to the Rochester Police Department through the program, which the officers then give to small children who may have experienced or witnessed domestic violence, or some other traumatic event.
Rochester Police Chief Michael Ciminelli accepted the donation Mayor Warren’s behalf.
“The Books and Bears program is a wonderful example of how a small gesture can lead to great things – which is the essence of community policing,” Mayor Warren said in statement. “When officers take the time during a busy and hectic event to acknowledge the presence of young children, they are showing those children that they are not invisible, that they matter, and that we care about them. I want to thank the Reliant Community Credit Union for supporting this wonderful program. This gift will make a huge impact in the lives of our most vulnerable children.”
Reliant will also host collection boxes at each of its nine area branches until the end of November, through which individuals may donate new children’s books or stuffed animals in their original packaging to the Books and Bears program.
The participating credit unions will be at the following branches:
- Brockport branch: 6265 Brockport Spencerport Rd. (located within the Brockport Walmart Supercenter), Brockport, NY 14420;
- Canandaigua branch: 3255 County Rd.10, Canandaigua, NY 14424;
- Geneva branch: 990 Routes 5 and 20 (located within the Geneva WalMart Supercenter), Geneva, NY 14456;
- Henrietta branch: 1200 Marketplace Dr. (located within the Henrietta Walmart Supercenter), Rochester, NY 14623;
- Irondequoit branch: 625 Titus Ave., Rochester, NY 14617;
- Macedon branch: 1520 Victor Rd., Macedon, NY 14502;
- Newark branch: 205 N. Main St., Newark, NY 14513;
- Sodus branch: 10 Benton Place, Sodus, NY 14551;
- and the Webster branch: 870 Holt Rd., Webster, NY 14580;
According to city officials, the program’s supply of books and stuffed animals was nearly depleted when Reliant made the donation.
“At Reliant, giving back to the communities we serve is a big part of who we are and Books and Bears is a great example of a program that gives back to those who are at the heart of our communities: children and families,” Pamela Heald, chief executive officer and president of Reliant Community Credit Union, stated. “We are grateful for the opportunity to partner with this worthwhile program, and we’re excited to be able to offer Reliant’s branches as locations where the community can come together to make a difference.”
Visit www.cityofrochester.gov/booksandbears for additional information regarding the program.